Friday, December 13, 2002

IMHO, w/ input from dd
Martha and I talked about that article on creeping IM language in students’ work. She claims her teachers are guilty of the same ‘crime.’

This reminded me of my own ‘methods,’ mostly developed in college while taking notes in darkened classrooms while watching all the art in the world projected in front of me. I found it much easier to take notes full of little abbreviations and also remove most of the vowels from bigger words. (e.g. - Delacroix became Dlcrx.) Later the same day (hopefully, for the the notes to be fully retrievable) I would transcribe them, reinserting vowels and other stuff. I think that process was a pretty good study aid.

I still use the same basic idea when making a store list:
TP = toilet paper
TtP = tooth paste
LT = Ladies’ things (if you have to ask, you don’t need them, so don’t ask)
PT = paper towels
LB = light bulbs
Dtgt = detergent
DT = dishwasher tablets
DS = dish soap

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter