Saturday, February 22, 2003

AARGH or Our Tax Dollars at Work
Sleepy Mommy Pansy Moss relates a distressing tale of of receiving an offer of governmental parenting help quite obviously based on her surname. This included the amazing offer of a ‘home visit.’ How tacky. Nobody wants people barging in on them when they have a newborn - unless it is an understanding friend, toting a casserole and ready to entertain some bored toddlers.

She turned them down. (And it sounds as though she was much more polite than I would have been. I’m afraid I would have been a bit testy at that point.)
So she received an insulting brochure instead:

I received a pamphlet in the mail in case I changed my mind. It said their rep will answer questions like:
"What do I do when all these kids make me stressed, and I have a baby"
"Proper baby care and nutrition"
"Changing and feeding a baby"


For crying out loud. Who can escape a hospital or birthing center without this info? I spent my second and third hospitalizations after childbirth trying to avoid the incessant invitations to this class and that class. In fact, that was one of the reasons I was willing to have drive-thru births for 4 & 5 and deliver #6 at home.

The worst part of Pansy’s story is that she has a bi-racial friend with a very Gaelic surname who did not receive the same offer of ‘services.’ Is there some cold comfort in thinking that a hundred years ago the Irish would have been the ones singled out for ‘help?’ I don’t know.

PS - So, what do I do when all these kids still make me stressed? And the baby is nine years old? I don’t think the county health department has the answers. And I don’t want them looking around my home - even 9 years post partum!

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter