Tuesday, October 01, 2002

The Violet
Just thought I’d share this lovely poem that I was using today with our lesson on St. Therese.
I found it in a wonderful book called The Harp and The Laurel Wreath by Laura M. Berquist. It’s quite well known in homeschooling circles, but I would recommend it as a resource for any family interested in introducing their children to poetry. (I knew it was great when one of the first poems I found, just opening it randomly, it was Strictly Germ-Proof, a favorite from my childhood. It also contains liberal doses of Tennyson, Shakespeare, Hopkins etc.)

The Violet by Jane Taylor
Down in a green and shady bed
A modest violet grew,
Its stalk was bent, it hung its head,
As if to hide from view.

And yet it was a lovely flower,
Its color bright and fair;
It might have graced a rosy bower,
Instead of hiding there.

Yet there it was content to bloom,
In modest tints arrayed;
And there diffused its sweet perfune,
Within the silent shade.

Then let me to the valley go,
This pretty flower to see;
That I may also learn to grow
In sweet humility.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter