Tuesday, October 01, 2002

I’m not writing this to be vulgar.......
I was watching the news this a.m. while getting dressed and saw on the ‘crawl’ (which, as a compulsive reader I cannot stop myself from reading) that a study out of the UK shows no correlation between shoe size and the size of a man’s penis. (Sorry to offend, gentle reader, but I could find no circumlocution that didn’t come across as too coy or evasive. So I decided to just blurt out the facts.) What bothered me about this, is that someone actually bothered to study this bit of folk wisdom. How does one come up with funding for such a study? How does one rationalize that there is some sort of purpose to be served in proving the ‘facts,’ one way or another? It just struck me as strange. I cannot imagine approaching any type of academic institution with even a one line proposal, let alone a detailed plan for carrying out this endeavor. And who would wish to participate as a subject? Ick.
Aren’t there a lot of important issues that should be addressed? There really isn’t anything one can do about one’s shoe size (or sizes of much else) so why study it? Was the shoe industry behind this? Or was it the glove industry? I’ve heard those stories, too..... I guess in a world where someone like Dr. Peter Singer can find employment, any kind of academic pursuit valid.
It’s just one of those bizarre things that I can let bother me this morning, so I can push the real issues to the back burner for a while......

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter