Sunday, October 27, 2002


2 interesting articles......
Catholic Light points out how a culture of ‘mere choice’ rots society’s core as demonstrated by Tennessee Williams’ classic A Streetcar Named Desire. (n.b. - That’s Tennessee Willliams, not Tennessee Tuxedo)

For homeschoolers who might have that Sunday night lull in enthusiasm, Verus Ratio has Your Children Are Not Safe (From Liberals) Anywhere, Anytime, with a link to to a FrontPage Magazine article

The Little Girl Who Went to Bed an Hour Earlier Every Night
My favorite story as a child was called, “The Little Girl Who Went to Bed an Hour Earlier Every Night. This was a short tale of a little girl who was feeling less than top-notch, and took the family doctor’s adivce to get more rest “by going to bed an hour earlier every night” at its most literal interpretation. In a fortnight, we now saw a child who was going to bed at 6:00 am and was up thru the dark of the night with only the little mice who sought her out in the kitchen as her playmates. A trip back to the doctor was needed to straighten her out on what was meant by ‘an hour earlier every night.’ I thought this was just the funniest story. It must have appealed to my literal-mindedness, in a sweet yet scolding way. For I was much like the girl in the story. The foremost example to come to mind is the time when my mother told me not to put a hand on the hot electric frying pan. So I licked it. It took about three days of lapping ice water like a kitty for the swelling to go down to the point where I could argue my case that I didn’t put a hand on the frying pan, so what was the big deal?

I was hoping to get out of my Little Girl loop when the time changed last night. I had been finding myself waking earlier and earlier every day and then having increasing trouble staying awake thru the evening. I was becoming a totally involuntary Little Girl Who Went to Bed a Little Earlier Every Night. So, woke up today at 5:00. Which was really 4:00 last week. But last week I was getting up at 5:00. I know a lot of people get up at 5:00 but this has put me totally out of synch with the rest of the family, who are much more of the night owl persuasion than lark. This too shall pass. It was worse in the summer - I’d hear the birds start in around 4:00 and I’d be up for the day. I’ll just have to look on the extra quiet morning time as a blessing and an opportunity to pray/think/work without the usual cacaphony surrounding me.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter