Thursday, August 29, 2002

Teetering on the edge of the abyss........

I’ve decided against my planned evening of watching the Video Music Awards for the perverse thrill of witnessing the decline of modern civilization. There is always the risk of the children catching me watching it.........I certainly don’t want to explain why I take great enjoyment in watching people being highly paid to debase themselves and drag society down with them. I’ve also noticed that I take on a noticeable philosphical resemblance to Ignatius Reilly, protagonist of one of my favorite novels, A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole.

To quote from a favorite part, early in the book, when Ignatius is blustering about the ‘pop’ music program he cannot tear himself away from watching.......... “Do I believe the total perversion that I am witnessing? ...........The children on that program should all be gassed.............I would like very much to know what the Founding Fathers would say if they could see these children being debauched to further the cause of Clearasil............... I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.” I love Ignatius Reilly.........but I don’t really like it when I start to sound like him.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter