Friday, March 29, 2013

Thy Will Be Done

"Thy will be done," in its full extent, must be the guideline for the Christian life. It must regulate the day from morning to evening, the course of the year and the entire life. Only then will it be the sole concern of the Christian. All other concerns the Lord takes over. This one alone, however, remains ours as long as we live ... And, sooner or later, we begin to realize this. In the childhood of the spiritual life, when we have just begun to allow ourselves to be directed by God, we feel his guiding hand quite firmly and surely. But it doesn't always stay that way. Whoever belongs to Christ must go the whole way with him. He must mature to adulthood: He must one day or other walk the way of the cross to Gethsemane and Golgotha.
                                   St. Edith Stein (St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross)

This Good Friday I am especially mindful of these words that I keep on my desk.  And not just because I managed to write a blog post for Word on Fire in which I managed to quote both this brilliant saint and Cee Lo Green.  Bridget is on her way this morning to find out a more definitive diagnosis with the rheumatologist.  I know she is in good hands.  God's hands, the doctor's hands, and the hands of her medically astute (and just weeks away from that nursing degree!) sister who will be going with her.  I'm working this morning.  And feeling a bit of guilt. Call it working mother guilt -  I didn't work when my children were young, so I guess I'm allowed to get a dose of it now.  I'll be with her in prayer, but had a moment in which I wanted to turn around on my way to work.  Thinking of Good Friday and how I want the Blessed Mother to be my model, I was seized by the thought that Mary would not have gone to her "day job" (allow me to lapse into hysterical hyperbole here, ok) while Jesus walked the way of the cross. 

Many of us are torn.  There are so many obligations that we must fulfill.  And all I can do today is pray.  Pray for all who walk the way of the cross, as we must.  And remember, "Thy will be done."

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter