Friday, August 26, 2011

Pied Beauty
and why I should carry my camera with me.  I saw a most fascinating caterpillar on the sidewalk in front of my office today.  It had the body shape of a tomato worm  and  - Heimlich from Bug's Life notwithstanding - I find these to be the most disgusting little things.  I saw one in my yard when I was about 5 years old and ran screaming into the house to find a parent to dispatch the "monster."  But today's caterpillar was different.  No ugly colored warts...just a smooth back with a pattern that was accurate camouflage for sitting on leaves.  He looked like the center of a leaf, all the way to the two lines that converged at his - I guess you'd call it the tail end - to look like a stem.  No camera.  So I convinced him to climb on a finger and went back to show some of my friends.  Mixed reviews on that.  One let out a small, controlled scream.  And the other looked, found him fascinating, but didn't mind that I quickly put him on a shrub near the door.  Glad I didn't bring him in.  But I kind of wish I'd found a jar or something to bring him home.  He was just..."counter, original, spare, strange."  At least I should have had my camera. 

I certainly was toting it during the move so I could detail the unraveling of my office.  The neon pink labels on my stuff did not offset my dark mood.  They should have been blue...and I should have just flowed with it.  Today would have been a better day to document.  He looked like a leaf!  And then there were the iridescent little mushrooms growing on the parkway... Wow.  Woulda, shoulda, coulda...




No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter