Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Thanks for the memories...

I may be one of the few women in the world who consistently wore Shalimar as my fragrance of choice when in elementary school.  My dear Aunt Tommy - who spoiled me terribly, taking the place of the grandmothers I never knew - was in the habit of passing along the bottles of Shalimar that she received each Christmas from a business acquaintance in California.  She didn't like Shalimar; I guess it's one of those love it or hate type of fragrances.


I am so angry with myself for throwing the empty bottles away.  Even without the fragrance I could still enjoy their classic beauty.  Having read about Chanel No. 5 and other significant perfumes, I was discussing my regret over tossing the empties.  Life changes.  Companies close.  Relatives die.  Reality sets in.  The time comes when you no longer have a yearly dose of Shalimar.

Bridget surprised me with an early Mother's Day gift:*
It's true what they say about scent and memory.  And today I feel like a fourth grader.  A rather sophisticated fourth grader.

*and it couldn't have come at a better time...crazy long day at work.  A parishioner corrected my grammar while I was taking a phone message. (She was right - in an old-school, no longer the rule sort of way.  So technically I was correct, also.  But they don't pay me to argue grammar with parishioners.  I had to save my polite-arguing skills for other calls.) Returned home to find that a dog had vomited on my bed.  Typical manic Monday.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter