Thursday, February 04, 2010

You've Been Warned...
I found the batteries for the camera.
It's not that the unphotographed life is not worth living, but the life examined through the lens is a bit more...attractive. My father, an avid photographer who had documented the minutiae of my existence in the way befitting a child with a darkroom in the basement, warned me not to look back on my life and realize that I had lived through the view finder.
That hasn't really been a problem. I quickly forgot darkroom techniques - including winding my own bulk black and white film - and over the years deteriorated to the extent that most photo-documentation of my family was done with disposable 35mm cameras. Film that only had about a 49% chance of being developed.

I inherited Dad's video camera and did have fun with that. I'm not especially proud to admit that there was a time when the kids would wear me out with their rambunctious behavior and I would only really 'enjoy' watching them at play...on tape...at 2:00am. While in the fray, I was distracted by the details of health, safety and organization. But on tape in the middle of the night I could savor the aesthetic appeal of the brood.

The miracle of digital photography presents further opportunity for the documentation of the mundane. All sorts of pictures that I wouldn't deem worthy of taking to the drugstore for processing; in the digital world they become significant. And if my surroundings are looking a little drab I find that they look better through the lens. Better and much less in need of dusting.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter