Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Day After Thanksgiving.
Not black friday at my house...I'm not sure if there is ever a day we move "into the black." But whatever.

I didn't have to work, so I spent the day in a most delightfully unstructured way. Fran and I did have to run uptown midafternoon to rescue Martha from work before the community tree lighting ceremony. The toy store finds that it is counterproductive to remain open after the festivities begin. Its pivotal location doesn't increase sales but makes it very popular with those seeking a warm respite and/or a public restroom. So the windows speak for themselves (windows Martha helped decorate!) and the smart folks "get the hell out of Dodge."

We stopped at Walgreen's on the way home. I chose to wait in the car...sometimes sitting alone in a cold car is very, very restful. The girls returned to the car with joyful enthusiasm and announced that Martha bought this year's tree and we were going straight home to put it up. Before I could ask how we would even tie the tree to the roof, they pulled the deluxe, official Charlie Brown Christmas Tree out of a bag. Here is one tree that I will allow to be put up and decorated well in advance of the holiday!

Other trees? I still sputter on about how we - the Smiths - put our tree up on Christmas eve. And did I ever mention that Santa Claus brought Grandpa Sarge's Christmas tree while he was sleeping? Of course. Resign yourselves kids... Because I can't quite resign myself. Just a few blocks from church, driving back from last evening's vespers, I spotted a fully decorated and illuminated tree. So much for our pious and serene drive home. Can't have that with a driver foaming at the mouth...

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter