Friday, October 09, 2009

?????
Obama wins Nobel Peace prize for giving everyone 'hope?'
Marge Simpson will pose nude in Playboy?
Last night's "Office?"*

How many times can you say "scrotum" on TV and not make me laugh? Am I the only person who was somewhat psyched for the one hour wedding of the year episode - only to be disappointed? That bad taste in my mouth wasn't from the single slice of cake that I picked up for my own private party. (The cake was worth it, just to enjoy Martha's near cataplectic collapse in the bakery aisle at Dominick's. I thought I had lost the knack for horrifying my family, but the mere admission that I was buying a piece of cake to celebrate the nuptials of "my imaginary friends" - to quote Miss Martha - was a coup. Hey, it's not like I dressed up. Or threw rice at the TV.)

One of The Office's strengths is the ability to say so much with a subtle raised eyebrow or puzzled smile. That is exactly what was missing last night. Much was painted with broad, clumsy strokes. Not that I didn't laugh at all. But I didn't laugh as much as I had hoped. Did you watch? Did you like the part where Angela's participation in a parody of that goofy YouTube wedding video was to walk straight down the aisle with her usual dour expression? Now that was priceless! (Perhaps I 'relate' too much...)

And Jim's toast was touching. Close to too perfect. But Michael threw the antidote on. Threw it on fast and raw. (Please don't say, "That's what she said.")

*Final verdict? Phyllis' wedding was funnier.

2 comments:

BettyDuffy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BettyDuffy said...

Glad to see someone call out The Office last night. I knew it was going to be a cheesy one just because of the music they played in the commercial previews. Any time they frame a sitcom episode as the "moment you've all been waiting for" or "A very special" episode, you know it's going to be terrible.


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter