Monday, May 25, 2009


Wish I Had Seen This in High School...

or
Farewell to Childe Harold and the Purple Crayon

As a follow-up to my assertion that Romeo and Juliet is the worst possible way to introduce Shakespeare to high-school age girls, allow me to propose that every Intro to English Literature class begin with a mandatory viewing of this BBC biopic.

In the course of my holiday week-end video viewing, I did not learn anything new, but saw our hero in a new light. Instead of just being 'mad, bad and dangerous to know,' he came across as...well, the word I want to use is apt, but I am prissy enough to not want to use it here. (Dear daughters of mine, do not feel obligated to leave it in the comments...) Let's simply say George comes across as a creep. Mad, bad, good looking and absolutely unappealing.

If I had seen this when I was in high school perhaps I would have spent less of my youth searching for my own Byronic hero. And I wouldn't have found Lady Caroline Lamb to be so much of a role model either. It didn't take long for the phrase "psycho bitch" to come to mind.

I don't think I would actually want any of my children to have seen this movie - I watched it in my bedroom with the door closed. But I would force a girl to watch it if necessary.

Did I mention the costumes were very pretty?

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter