Friday, April 04, 2008

“The ribbon ‘appears to signal concern for others...”

Found via First Things Blog, a review of Ribbon Culture, a book about the ubiquitous and sanctimonious awareness ribbon.

”The more that awareness ribbons have become a must-have accessory, the more they have become All About Ourselves.”
And since it’s all about me, I don’t feel so bad about loathing the ribbons.*

Maybe I should use my bright green with pink polka dot ribbon to make Ribbon Awareness Awareness Ribbons. I bought the ribbon for pure enjoyment and have been waiting for a purpose.

*With the exception of the little green ribbons we would make in Girl Scouts. Each Scout would give them to Moms, Sisters, Aunts, Grandmas - any women who had been a Girl Scout - to wear during March to show the ubiquity of Girl Scouting. Those were cute.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter