Thursday, February 07, 2008

Oh, Mom, they tagged you good...You don't have a forehead, it's a fivehead
or
Why Ash Wednesday is one of the best days of the year!

In the almost twenty years that we have been Catholic, I have reveled in the physical manifestation placed on my forehead every Ash Wednesday. So my spiritual challenge for this year was the possibility of having to offer up not making it to church for the distribution of ashes. The snow yesterday was...a lot. It took us a long time to make what should be the 8 minute drive to church. And on the way, my mind wandered. What if we were late? What if there were no ashes for latecomers? What if I couldn't duck out of work for the 9:00 or NOON Masses? What if...

One of the other reasons I was hell-bent (is that correct for a moderately pious church secretary?) on getting up to church was that Ash Wednesday is a major phone ringing off the wall day. And our parishioners are accustomed to live customer service voices helping them: no recorded messages for us! During the ride to church/work I found my mind morphing into one of the phone voices. Totally concerned about the ashes. ("No, I just want to know what time during Mass they're giving out ashes? Can I stop by the rectory?) I knew when the ashes would be distributed and it wasn't looking good for us. Rick dropped us at the front of the church and went to park the car. We came in just as the people we queueing up. I gave Chuck one last admonition to hold his fabulous locks back and not make Fr. go spelunking for his forehead. Rick missed the ashes, but Fr. did take care of latecomers after Mass.

When I walked in to work, my co-workers shrieked and pointed at my forehead. Which I thought was sort of strange, given that we work for the Church. I didn't even look at myself until later in the day. I am ashamed that I was so pleased with the splendid cross - no tiny smudge. Bridget came in to fetch me at quitting time...and screamed, "They tagged you good!"

(The boys, who were behind me in line were not marked as boldly...and there crosses were 50% worn off by the time I got home. But me... I am ashamed that I was so pleased. And as always, ladies, it helps if you exfoliate, lightly moisture and dust your visage with Physicians' Formula Pearls of Perfection to create the perfect foundation for a cross that lasts all day long!()

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter