Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Let's Digress
I was going through the picture box and I found this (Spirit of the Night, 1879, by John Grimshaw) - absolutely charming. Not what I was looking for, but absolutely charming. And it reminded me of the TV news segment (I think on CBS Sunday Morning, which Eddie and I are so fond of watching after Mass on Sunday mornings) about the reemergence of absinthe in the United States. So called "safe" absinthe. On the one hand, the anise flavor doesn't appeal to me. If I want that, there is always Jagermeister or black jelly beans. On the other, the reporter said that absinthe was the preferred drink of the creative mind because it heightened thoughts and senses rather than dulling them. (I think we've heard more than a few drugs pitched that way) I could use a little heightening around this time of day. A little something to help me focus and stay enthused.

My sister told me that she heard about a liquor store in St. Paul that now carries absinthe. This would be very fascinating - very French - except that it is about $75 a bottle. I'd be willing to chip in $7.50 just to try it once. So we just need to find 8 more people to go in with us. Of course, we'd need the special spoon to hold the sugar cube while we pour the product. And probably some special glasses, too. This isn't the time for those POM tea glasses.

Maybe I'll just walk on the wild side and steal a sugar-free Red Bull from one of the girls...
now back to work.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter