Saturday, January 12, 2008

Kvetchi - Vale Season
As in several years past, I shall attempt to refrain from kvetching during Lent.
So I've declared the next three and a half weeks to be Kvetchi-Vale season.

*to the co-worker who called me at 10:00 o'clock last night to see if I could cover her hours this afternoon: Sorry if I sounded sleepy - but I was asleep. Sorry if I had a memorial open house (a Chinese wake so to speak) for my daughter's father-in-law on my social calendar today. I'm not trying to be unhelpful.

*to the child who nudged me with the phone at 10:00pm: Let's drop Latin for a few days and learn to say, "Mom is asleep. Is this an emergency or could you call back tomorrow?"

*to the 'child' who called at 10:15 to ask if we wanted 6 goldfish stat: Sorry if I sounded annoyed. That was sort of a carry over from the last call. And no, no fish. I think the pond at the village 'refuse park' is a good idea.

*to the 'children' who came home at 2:30, woke up the dogs and then told me that Bridget's high school boyfriend (and new college-grad - Congrats Ben, by the way) would be on the couch because he was in no condition to drive into the city: You don't have to wake me up to let me know that you bought a few too many von HuBombs for the gang. A note would suffice. Temperance in the future is to be recommended. Your politeness and "I love you, man" is appreciated. But not as much as a night of undisturbed sleep.

*to the 'child' who called at 8:15 am to tell me that Hunan North is out of business: Thanks. I was in real danger of ordering out crab rangoon for breakfast. Now that I think of it, that doesn't sound so bad. Considering Eddie and I, both annoyed by the barking dogs, were watching Alton Brown prepare dim sum at 3:00am

This is sufficiently kvetchy for a start. I have to pace myself.
The link between these items is sleep - sweet, undisturbed sleep. Which I am entitled to, now that the 'baby' is 14.
My Lenten plans may work better if try to get adequate sleep. Otherwise the temptation to kvetch will be so much more difficult.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter