Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Damn the Chickens! Free Speech Ahead!
I’m still sulking over the chickens. On the way to work yesterday, Rick and I had a piquant conversation about how much respect is to be paid to regulations of the homeowners’ association in contrast to the respect owed to governmental authority. Rick was tisking like an old biddy over the plethora (see SAT people, I can work it into any story...) of signs in support of the local school referendum. Political yard signage is strictly forbidden by the homeowners’ association. (Hence my affixing of an Alan Keyes campaign sign in the front window during the last presidential election. I liked Alan Keyes. I also liked annoying the public and my family. One of these days I must touch up the spot where it took the paint off of the wall.)

In the past, those who put signs in their yards were promptly chastised and the signs quickly disappeared. But this time the signs are staying up. My best guess is that this is a show of tacit support of the referendum by the people who would usually be the first to demand that signs be removed.

As for me, I don’t know. It’s hard to argue with VOTE YES - Kids Come First!!! In other parts of town I have seen signs with the word NO in big yellow letters. Yellow, symbolic of a lack of concern for 50 year-old plumbing and malfunctioning urinals. Yellow, the color of cowardice...the lack of courage to see that the children in our community have 21st century toilet facilities. And a top grade performing arts facility for middle schoolers.

I don’t think a NO sign would be welcome on our block. I’m not even saying that I would vote no. What I would like to do would be to make up my own sign saying “ABOLISH INSTITUTIONAL EDUCATION.” And let the fun begin.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter