Sunday, November 16, 2003

...unless it is grotesque, in which case it is going to be called realistic. - Flannery O'Connor on The Grotesque in Southern Fiction

Flannery O'Connor
Flannery O'Connor wrote your book. Not much escapes
your notice.


Which Author's Fiction are You?
brought to you by Quizilla
Link via Quenta Nârwenion

This question: "What fascinates you?" and the answer "Verbally tearing people into little, tiny shreds" tipped me off that Dorothy Parker was lurking in there. There but for the grace of God go I.... I have always adored Dorothy Parker. Starting with reading a bio back around the 8th grade. My family was not impressed when I started talking like Miss Parker. Not impressed at all. I still have a tendency to verbally tear people, places and things into little, tiny shreds but I've learned to control it. OK, 98% of the time. Unfortunately it is my husband who happens to be in the line of fire when I 'slip.'

I must have been working through the library's bio section alphabetically, because my next big obsession was Edith Piaf. I let that one drop quickly. I was never 'little.' And never much of a sparrow. This all came flooding back to me when I finally visited Paris. But not so much that I was tempted to abandon the family and stay to become the next Edith Piaf. (I'm still not little and my singing is best described by that line in "A Chorus Line," what I lack in tone, I make up in power; all my friends say I am perfect for the shower.)

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter