Tuesday, September 16, 2003

The Fat Letter is in the Mail....
The concept of mailing out body-mass index scores just doesn’t sound good. It reminds me of weigh and measure day back in grade school. That was as close as I ever got to feeling that I was in line at a guillotine. No, I think I would have preferred the guillotine. Better to have your head quickly detached than to have the school nurse weigh and measure you and then SHOUT OUT THE RESULTS TO A VOLUNTEER IN CHARGE OF RECORDING THE STATS. Do I sound bitter? Do I sound like the girl who was not just the heaviest but also the tallest in the class? Do I sound like someone who couldn’t shave inches off her height but managed to work herself into anorexia by end of high school? How about the amphetamines I convinced the doc to prescribe in college? ‘Nuff said.

The hope is that getting body-mass index scores will nudge some parents out of denial and encourage them to make simple changes such as buying Diet Coke instead of Coke, said Dr. Joe Thompson, a pediatrician and one of the architects of the state's program. Parents also will be advised to seek medical attention for their children, if warranted.

Diet Coke? How about water? Eau de la tap? Or bottled water if the tap water tastes funky. (I myself am now addicted to La Croix sparkling water with lemon. It tastes a lot better than Lake Michigan with chlorine.)

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter