Friday, January 17, 2003

Dangers of idiomatic English.....
This was funny.......... I mentioned something to my Bible study group yesterday about the homeless man who lived on our couch a little too long as being happy because he had cable TV, three hots and a cot. I had assumed that everyone was familiar with the phrase three hots and a cot, as in what your basic jail or shelter would provide - three square meals and a place to sleep. Maybe that's a Wisconsin bred phrase - like bubbler for drinking fountain. There was a look of horror on the ladies' faces and then relieved giggling when they realized what I meant by three hots. This came to light when someone realized the discrepancy between 'three hots' and my having four daughters. They thought I was referring to the girls........No wonder they were perplexed by my discussion of the boundaries of Christian charity and the provision of three hots and a cot! Not to even think of the fact that I said I consulted with a priest to help me define those boundaries.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter