Monday, December 02, 2002

No Swedish Blood on my side of the family........
I thought I was alone in finding IKEA’s ads creepy. (The one with the kitschy salt and pepper shakers broken in a moment of kitchen table passion - gross.) So I rant at my mate who is 50% Swedish, holding him somehow responsible for these vulgar displays. I remind him that the broken figurines are just descendants of the ad of some years back for some brand of dreadful, tasteless (in more ways than one) inedible Swedish ‘flatbread.’ All he can ever come up with is, “What can I say? They’re Swedish.”

I see that Eve Tushnet isn’t favorably impressed either. Especially by the ad with the distressed parents of a pregnant daughter.

The IKEA promo bills these vignettes as Skewed Reality and Humorously Frank Discussions. I think not.

I had hoped to get out to Schaumburg and buy a cheap bookshelf at IKEA. Now, I think not.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter