Thursday, February 20, 2003

Somebody spoke and I went into a dream.......
Karen Hall mentions chickens as another first line of defense against terror attacks.
Instead of thinking of imminent peril, I am suddenly transported back to fourth grade when I managed to persuade my parents to let me keep some chickens.
The farming unit in social studies was so fascinating, I had to have chickens.
My father was still talking about it when I visited him the week-end before his death.
Chickens - 5 cents apieces. Chicken wire and other supplies - about twenty dollars (that was a substantial outlay in 1964 considering the goofiness of the venture.)
The memories? Priceless. Well, there was the moment when Cleo the dachsund got loose and bit one of the chicks in half.
But otherwise it was fun. The roosters made attempts at crowing in the morning.
They would all ‘fly the coop’ and be chased about the neighborhood. We learned to clip their wings.
(If you are thinking of keeping chickens as a line of defense, do learn to clip those wings.)
And I certainly hope your neighbors are as understanding as ours were.
The lady up the street (the children call her my nemesis, but I think she is just ‘unhappy’)
would take umbrage with chickens in my yard. If she finds my family offensive, chickens could be just too.......

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter