Monday, September 09, 2002

Michael Medved on WND has some interesting things to say about the recent trend of older women pairing up with younger men. He quotes novelist Anna Quindlen, “that all women can divide their lives into three stages: Pre-Babe, Babe, and Post-Babe.” And now medicine and technology allow women to greatly extend the ‘Babe’ phase of their lives. Oh, well.

As someone who is definitely in the Post-Babe phase (And not with great regret. The ‘Babe’ business is really too much work.....) I do find myself noticing women who are still technically ‘Babe’ but should really be behaving a bit more Post-Babe. At Mass one morning last week, there was a mother with several children, noticeable because she had chosen to come to Church wearing a tennis dress, which struck me as inappropriate, no matter how good her legs looked. There was a time when I lived in my tennis dresses (OK, I was pretty shallow, I livedtennis) but there was no way, no how that my own mother would have allowed me to enter a Church (and we were Lutheran, mind you, so there was no issue of appearing immodest in the Real Presence of our Lord) wearing what could be called a ‘dress’ in only the most technical terms. Please do not think these are just the rantings of a bitter 40-something who now has a greater resemblance to the Venus of Willendorf than to Venus Williams. There is a certain wisdom that comes in the Post-Babe phase which more than makes up for what may have been lost in other areas. That wisdom is what we should be seeing more of.........and a little less leg, ladies!

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter