Sunday, June 08, 2014

Greetings from a beat up 15 inch MacBook . . .

  • Another June...more birthdays.  Our Irish Princess has her birthday on Friday.  (Yes, The Omen jokes continue after all these years. There are NO 6s on her scalp. I, the doctor, and, as Clairol would say, her hairdresser know for sure.) I didn't do the Bees on the Lawn thing this year.  The bees are in storage and I'm not too sure how a lawn full of dozens of plastic bees would play with our landlord and new neighbors.  (Us and our "crazy white people" customs).  Did make some shabby chic paper bees, which Bridget found whimsical.  She said shabby chic.  My thought was more along 'pathetic attempt.'  One of her gifts from us was a TJMaxx gift card; which I lost before I could wrap it.  I know I put it in a safe place.  Still waiting on a little help from St. Anthony - so I made a gift card to redeem for a gift card!
  • My father would have turned 89 yesterday.  The story about that British WWII vet who walked away from his rest home to join other veterans in France on Friday reminded me of my father.  Men who, while still in their teens, defended their countries and faced unspeakable horrors and losses developed a strength that is not easily tamed by illness nor frailty.  They are not easily shushed and "now, now, that'll do"-ed into submission.
  • Despite its embarrassing vulgarities, Silicon Valley has been my favorite television show.  Something about it 'speaks to me.'  The part of me that feels like I've spent the last decade (or more) living in a tech incubator of sorts.  And, of course, I'm writing this on my beat up 15 inch MacBook Pro with stupid stickers.   I should remember to grab one of the Pied Piper stickers that I made as a birthday gift for Chuck.  That's the sticker touch this MacBook needs.
  • Watching too many British medical shows has left me with the habit of addressing Franny as Sister.  And asking how soon she'll be promoted to Matron.  (London Hospital is fabulous.  Based on factual hospital records, memoirs, and news stories...it gives a fascinating and realistic reminder of how much the practice of medicine has progressed in the last 100 years.  I hope Sister Frances gets time to watch it.  She'll love it.  And if she thinks her 60/40 poly-cotton scrubs are uncomfortable, the nurses' uniforms at the London will make her very thankful! Those poor nurses feet didn't have anything wonderful like Dansko's either) 
  • My at-home-working-on-my-laptop glasses make me look like Dominick Dunne in drag.  Or perhaps I flatter myself.
  • TV has been my go-to distraction since our move.  At least when my eyes are too tired for reading.  And often while I am reading.  But I did get to see an advance screener of a great movie "Ida".  This is better for review writing, as I could watch it several times, go back to rewatch certain parts, and double check any quotes.  "Ida" is so good that it's worthy of a trip to Renaissance Place to watch on the big screen.  Maybe next week...this week-end has been awfully full and time grows short.
  • I'm buoyed by the weather forecast for the next five days.  Nothing too hot.  So next Saturday we'll go to Costco to get a couple air conditioners to keep us alive when the weather takes a turn for the 'hot' that the TV weather persons rhapsodize about from their air conditioned studios.  Hot weather is fun when you have a retreat to cool off and dehumidify.
  • The cooler weather is also nice since I can delay the air conditioner in my window at work.  It is a necessity in a second floor office of a flat roofed former convent built in the 1950s.  (I don't know how the sisters survived.  When the temps get into the 80s, the second floor is a little slice of hell on Church property.)  Last year I didn't request the AC until the first week in July.  It is a necessity - but with the downside of turning each office into an isolated, claustrophobic pod with a giant white noise machine.  But it beats sweating on the paperwork.  And the computer.  And sticking to my chair.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter