Wednesday, January 12, 2011

There's little comfort...
in the realization that I am as good a babysitter now as when I was a teenager.  I was a terrible babysitter.  My mother became tired of having to 'rescue' me and advised that I get out of the business.  (The deciding event being my calling for help when I was trying to subdue a very hefty naked toddler so that I could pin on a cloth diaper.  As with most things, practice makes perfect.  By the time I was finished with the diaper business in my house, I could securely pin a double diaper in the dark while half asleep.  But when I was 14 my prospects did not appear to be good.)

I babysat Lily and Maddie yesterday.   It went well - since two of the girls were home to help me - with Eddie, Chuck, and Grandpa passing through intermittently.  "Ransom of Red Chief" time.  Seriously, folks: I don't know how grandparents are able to rise to a difficult occasion and raise their own grandchildren.  I suppose  the skills can be revived.  But I sure wasn't able to find the lady who was able to talk on the phone, watch a toddler, and make tofu cookies with one hand while carrying a baby in a sling.  I think she's gone; the flummoxed teenager has returned.

[Oh, and we found out the hard way that Lily is terrified by Eddie's remote controlled helicopter.  We thought she might find it amusing.  She didn't.]

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter