Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Missing:
Maternal Mojo
The tofu cookie baking, cloth diaper changing in the dark (with pins, my friends, no diaper wraps for me!) mega mother has disappeared.  I took a vacation day to babysit Lily and Madge while Emily drove her mother-in-law to the hospital for outpatient surgery.  The best I can say is that no children were damaged in the process.

Not only am I an un-fun grandma - I'm somewhat incompetent.  And impatient with new-fangled baby stuff in a way that is eerily reminiscent of my late mother.  Needed a few moments of deep concentration to spring Maddie from her carrier; couldn't quite get Lily's Pampers on right; managed to snap Maddie's PJs crooked no matter how I tried.  Caught myself yodeling, "Don't touch that - it's Waterford."  Come on, my mother had more patience than that. 

I used to be so easy going.  There was a time that I wouldn't be even slightly dismayed by a leaky diaper and leaky sippy cup on the couch that had just had its slipcovers washed in the wake of a leaky dog.  I'm still rational, but shocked at how annoyed I can get.  Maybe after several decades of kids around the house I just want the goofy luxury of leaving my Waterford jelly jar on a surface that is not seven feet off of the floor.  Maybe my fingers are too arthritic at 6:30am to finesse a quick change.  I used to be a contender.  Now?  Not so much.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter