Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Point well taken...
"Smart people, nay, brilliant ones use emoticons. Articulate, bright, funny people. Yet when I see a smiley, my first thought is, 'What are you, 12 years old?'"
You know, she's right. But I can't seem to help myself. Just as the the double touch on the space bar after a period is automatic, so is the the little smiley I so often use at the end of email. Is it a gesture of sincere friendliness or some sort of submissive posture? "I'm sweet. I'm non-threatening. Please like me. Please."

"The case of SacraLites we received today had three broken candles and a box littered with glass shards. Could you please adjust our invoice to reflect this? Thanks. Ellyn :-)"

"Altar servers are expected to find their own replacements when they have scheduling conflicts. I have attached another copy of the roster for your convenience. Thanks so much. Mrs. von Huben :-)"

"Hon - Why don't you just go ahead and pay the gas bill...It's a little embarrassing for me to talk to the automated payment hotline from work. Thanks - me :-)"


Don't hate me. See? I'm smiling? Right?

Whether they're humble punctuation marks or shape-shifting, animated gifs matters not -- I loathe them in all their forms. I see a face at the end of a sentence, I start lopping off IQ and attractiveness points for the person who wrote it.
Point well taken.

2 comments:

Peony Moss said...

What a grouch >:(

Ellyn said...

I like the furrowed brow emoticon...I may have to start using that...a lot! :-)


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter