Monday, November 03, 2008

Miracle Children, Oprah and the Ice in my Blood

Those nights when I find myself watching the 11:00pm rerun of the day’s Oprah are often short of quality sleep. Chances are good that something annoying and/or disturbing will be shown. There was one of those nights last week.

Having fallen asleep with the TV on (bad policy, I know) I woke up mid-Oprah. She was showing a touching YouTube tribute made by the parents of a baby who lived for 99 well appreciated and celebrated days. Unlike Oprah and her guest, Celine Dion, I did not end up in tears. It was a moment that I did wonder if there was ice in my blood.

But my second thought, the one that nagged at me as I tried to go back to sleep, was the torrent of tears coming from a woman who has brought her considerable celebrity to bear in the presidential campaign of a man who has, in fact, denied the human rights of the smallest and most vulnerable people.

We live in a society which is comfortable with the discomfort some have with pithing frogs in biology class. Yet so many are enthralled, including lachrymose media icon Oprah, with a man who has no qualms about pithing humans.

One of us has a problem, a disconnect, an imbalance. And it might not be me.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter