Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Happy when you're not…
I love the moments in movies when one little thing explains a character. Being, perhaps, the last person to see Juno –alone, in my room on Friday night - I didn't have much of a chance to discuss it with anyone. At this point I feared the disappointment that comes with a big build-up. But it was charming. And full of those tiny defining things.

Give Clinique's Happy high points for brand recognition. I recognized the bottle instantly, before it was mentioned in passing. That perfume with the lilting citrus top note was the perfect dressing table necessity for a woman who was so clearly not happy. Would the same fragrance by any other name have been used? I think not.

A whiff of Happy has been known to help, though. I remember the year when Bridget was plagued with migraines (I think this was in the wake of Rick's pheo, but I'm not exactly sure. Funny how events of a cataclysmic nature can become fuzzy with the passage of time. The thought evokes emotion but some details escape. A few numbers survive. 250 over 110. 9 units of blood. 10th of November. "6 kids – You don't want more, do you?")

Bridget liked Happy. And there I was in the weeks before Christmas stopping at the Clinique counter of every possible store to scam up a free sample tube. A mendicant mom intent on providing some Happy. Marshall Field's, Lord and Taylor, Neiman-Marcus, Carsons, another Marshall Field's. Too broke to buy any Happy, though anteing up $10 to get the limited edition Clinique Happy CD. And voicing no objections when a friend approached a Clinique counter and asked for samples for "a friend's daughter who has bad brain problems." She scored three! samples. I felt that we were pushing some bad karma buttons there, but it wasn't really a lie. And some twelve or so years later, Clinique has a solid customer in Bridget. Guess what she gave me for Christmas this past December?

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter