Thursday, May 25, 2006

A certain peculiar symmetry...
defines a lot of the stuff in my life lately. A guy I knew in high school was killed (along with his sixteen year son and another boy) about a week and a half ago. Once I found out, I’ve folowed the funeral arrangements online. He was a parishioner at the Lutheran church of my youth. A church physically unable to hold a funeral to which 800 mourners are expected. (excluding me - I don’t think the van could make the trip...Oh, and my drivers’ license has been suspended. On a technicality.). I am not surprised that the service will take place in one of the town’s Catholic churches. It sort of reminds me of that Frost poem - 'Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.'
. Where others may see sheer practicality, I see something more subtle. (Perhaps this is a good time - should there be one - to interject my favorite Big Chill line: “You'll never get this many people to come to my funeral. “ “I'll come... and I'll bring a date.” Hmmm. I know a bunch of priests. They can’t even bring ‘dates.’)

Reading the Milwaukee news, I’ve also noticed that the hospital in which Martha was born is closing. (I think I have some sort of bad effect on schools and hospitals. Every school I’ve attended has been turned into a condo. And more than one hospital that has cared for me has been shut down.)
N.B. Martha: the Milwaukee County mental health complex.. That’s....practical. I guess. I wonder what will happen to the glorious statue of St. Michael that was in the lobby. Waiting to be admitted the night Martha was born, I cooled my heels studying its comforting strength. When the day came that I purchased a St. Michael statue for our home, I picked one a lot like it.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter