Thursday, June 09, 2005

So...is Bono holding his breath?


I’ve seen this quoted in several places:

At the Eighth International Church Music Congress in Rome in 1986, for example, Ratzinger blasted rock music as a “vehicle of anti-religion”. He said rock and roll is a secular variant of an age-old ecstatic religion, in which man “lowers the barriers of individuality and personality” to “liberate himself from the burden of consciousness”. Rock is thus “the complete antithesis of Christian faith in the redemption”.

I can see his point. But I don’t know if rock is the only music which can be used to rid one of the “burden of consciousness.” And I’m not ready to make send the CD’s and vinyl out to the recycling bin. Of course, I don’t think I’ll send the Holy Father my copy of Greetings from Asbury Park NJ, either. But if he wanted to borrow it, I’d let him.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter