Monday, January 17, 2005

Your mama sews socks...that smell!
That is my usual greeting to put my sister at ease if she calls me at work. After 3 and a half years of my working at the rectory, she is still uncomfortable calling me at work. Uncomfortable in a way that she wouldn’t be if I worked anywhere else. I guess she is afraid a priest will answer the phone. And, perhaps, convert her in 50 words or less. And that thought evoke quotes from another of our favorite movies, “He’s ordained.” and “Heaven forbid.”

But no one should be calling me today since I’m taking a personal day to take care of a few personal tasks and finish preps for Martha’s 18th birthday tomorrow. Not only is she excited to be turning 18...she’s turning 18 on her ‘golden’ birthday. (18 on the 18th. Cool. I was oblivious to my ‘golden’ birthday... 1 on the first. If it weren’t for a few photos I wouldn’t even know it had been celebrated. I was oblivious.

If the week-end is any indicator of how things are going, it should be a good week. The Christmas tree if finally down, the decorations are a-l-m-o-s-t all packed away. I made my apologies to our new pastor for not being able to attend his installation Mass because of another work commitment. But at the last minute I was able to go home 40 minutes before the Mass. And because I am low maintenance I was able to through on a dress and get to church in plenty of time. It was very moving. And the family was tickled to have a second row seat, since places were saved for staff members. Sitting in front of the 2005 version of Damien the Omen child couldn’t put a damper on a such a wonderful occasion. (His mother kept whispering to him, “Do you want to leave? OK, we’ll leave....” But they never left. I had a few moments when I wanted to turn around - and if this were a movie theatre rather than a church I would have - and say, “Leave already.”)

Ooops. Gotta run. Will right about the Golden Globes tomorrow. Maybe. After I’ve read the reports. I opted for the FOX Sunday night line-up followed by hanging out with the kids, so I’m....oblivious.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter