Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Point Pleasant
Or un.

Today's What was I Thinking? Award Winner.
No matter how tired I was, I should have loaded up on caffeine and dragged myself to the Holy Hour tonight. Instead, I fell asleep after a late dinner at a table crowded with Macs in various stages of reconditioning. (Rick suggests eating our entrees on salad plates...not to make the portions look bigger, but to take up less room at the table.) Forcing myself to wake up and throw in some laundry, I find myself caught in the undertow of the latest FOX drama offering. Hmmm. Not too suspenseful. Something of a “Damien comes back as a sweet young thing in the New Jersey version of the O.C.” Some drama. My work environment has more drama. No kiddin’. All that propriety allows me to disclose is that this week has been one big whine and cheese party with saucers of milk on the side. (Let’s just say there is a bit of conflict between some of the ladies...and if some of them think I spend too much time talking to the priests, perhaps it is because the men have something to talk about besides their ‘feelings.’)

“The cold” is moving slowly through the house. Now Martha is sneezing and wheezing and Eddie is eating popcorn because it scratches his itchy throat. I am relieved that Martha felt well enough to enjoy her birthday. It was a fun time; with the whole crew present, albeit in shifts. Embot came by early before her night school class. Fran came in later after work. There is something about a birthday in the middle of January that ups the odds of illness on one’s special day. I still feel bad about her birthday several years ago, when she was so sick that she didn’t get around to eating her special cake (chocolate with chocolate frosting topped with purple flowers) for three days. In an effort to expunge these bad memories, I have ordered a chocolate chocolate cake with purple flowers every year since.

Time to toss that laundry in the dryer and get some more sleep. I just can’t get caught up. And I had the most distressing brain hiccup today....couldn’t remember the word, “acid.” I found myself going through PASSWORD type clues with a friend (they weren’t so good - she didn’t get what I was trying to say) vinegar, in your stomach, opposite of alkaline, you know, the other end of that pH thing. Reminded of the day I thought I was loosing my mind because I woke up at 4:00 in the morning and, in the course of thinking about something totally vague and inconsequential, I realized that I couldn’t remember the first name of my sister’s first husband. I should receive partial credit for having the good sense not to wake up family members to ask them. Or call my sister. Yeah, I’m sure her second husband would appreciate that. After a bit more sleep it came to me. John.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter