Monday, September 13, 2004

Alas, I was not present...

Winfrey then led the ecstatic crowd outside the studio to a parking lot filled with G6s topped with big red bows. Each member of the audience was instructed to contact a Pontiac representative to personally customize the actual cars they will receive, allowing them to choose the color and features that come with a fully loaded model.

She said most members of the audience had been specially selected from letters sent in advance by viewers on behalf of themselves, friends or family who were in need of a new car.


Dear Oprah,
I am presently driving an ‘87 GMC van. I’m not really complaining or nothin’. We bought it for one dollar from the estate of my late uncle, so it’s not like we haven’t had our money’s worth. It’s just that Uncle Dan didn’t spring for the rust-proofing (when I’m in my early 80’s I most likely won’t be worried about that sort of thing, either.) and it is starting to look its age. I know a van is not a jet and the kids can’t be sucked out of those holes that have formed in a few places, but my oldest daughter is planning on getting married next year and it would be nice to be able to park the family van in a reasonable vicinity to the church and reception. Not to mention that it would be nice to make that rim-leak problem a thing of the past; i.e. not to have to stop to check the air in the right front tire on our way to the church and/or the reception. Sometimes my self-esteem is bruised when people look askance at our vehicle (it does have a certain dissonance when parked between a Jaguar and a Lexus) or my mother-in-law reminds me that rusty cars are illegal in many European countries.
Don’t worry, Oprah. If you can’t help me, we’ll just make two trips in the Amigo. No problemo.
Sincerely,
Ellyn v.
( a regular viewer for many years.....sort of.)
PS - I could also use a Chanel suit, a decent hairdo, a new garage door and when I finally write my book, maybe you could have me on the show. Just to chat.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter