Monday, May 10, 2004

Pardon my dread....
What a delightful Mother’s Day. The sale went smoothly. The weather was extremely cooperative. Everything was great.

The family gave me a surprise lunch. I was lured home in a timely fashion by a cell phone call (I missed the first 10 calls because the phone was hidden in a bag in the van. ) requesting that I come home ASAP because Bridget needed a ride to work, our pater was vomiting and Franny was unavailable because she had to go to a friend’s to rescue a tiny bunny. The trip to deliver some roses to the mother of my godson on her first Mother’s Day was quick.....nobody home at their house. Put the roses in the garage - and I actually remembered to call her later and tell her to look in the garage. Ain’t I amazin’? Prayed on the way home that I could be patient and understanding. Sun burned and with a certain tired feeling of satisfaction, all I wanted was an opportunity to veg-out. No ministering to dyspeptic spouses, orphaned rabbits and chauffeuring the high-strung. So it was quite a surprise to walk into a fabulously clean house and find a more or less well family seated around a beautfully prepared lunch table. (OK - it wasn’t perfect. The boys had been temporarily exiled to their room owing to some sort of incident involving a nosebleed, lack of fraternal cooperation and Chuck’s having reached his limit of toxicity for sisterly whining. The Chopin CD that Fran chose for pleasant lunching background music skipped to the Marche Funebre. And there is still enough illness in the house that I am refering to it as the IHoP: i.e. International House of Phlegm.)
But.....it was good. Very good. I liked Mother’s Day.

Addendum......The special Mother’s Blessing at the 6:00pm Mass was most efficacious. I think it helped keep me from going ballistic as Martha and I perused the school supply section of the Osco looking for just the right three-ring binder with clear front pocket for an English portfolio due 3rd period this morning. And on to CVS. All with maternal good humor, even though I was anxious to get home and plunk down in front of The Simpsons.

Note to Embot: I was wearing my Mother’s Day necklace. I even had everybody in order this time, though backwards. I was too tired on Saturday night to reverse the order and I was afraid I’d break the chain (again!) if I tried more fiddling with it in my unpatient state.

Note to Rose Sale Friend (you know who you are): You’re right. Flummoxed has two m’s.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter