Saturday, October 04, 2003

Mrs. von, your roots are showing....
Two highlights in a rather long and frustrating week at school. (In the interest of full disclosure, my homeschoolers haven’t been a treat to work with, either.) There were two moments when I had the children’s full attention.

1) I reminded them to line up and be quiet at the bubbler. This had to be translated for them with the explanation that where I come from a drinking fountain is called a bubbler. (Just Milwaukee......a lot of these kids have travelled extensively, yet they do not speak Wisconsinese.)

2) A child asked me who I preferred, the Cubs or the Braves. (Like I would say the Braves. Am I nuts?) I told them I hadn’t cared for the Braves since they moved out of Milwaukee. Indeed, they were totally flumoxed at the announcement that when I was their age, the Braves were the Milwaukee Braves. (I had a hat. I even collected cards. Henry Aaron lived in my town - though on the posher side of the Milwaukee River.)

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter