Monday, September 08, 2003

Law and Order: SUV
This article caused me to tsk-tsk over breakfast this morning...
The SUVs at a Land Rover dealership were painted with words like "Avarice" and "Gluttony" Thursday night or early Friday morning, Santa Fe police said. The initials "ELF" where among the messages, a likely reference to the radical Earth Liberation Front, city police said.

By 9:00 am I was ready to join the ELFs myself. First there was the Range Rover that cut me off in the high school drop-off queue.

Then I went to church, where I have enough time for some prayer and can make it to my morning job if I tip-toe out of the 8:00am Mass right after the homily. It’s not unusual for us to find ourselves ‘parked in’ on a Sunday morning. But today was the first time it happened to me on a week-day. A nice big Lexus SUV. By the time I let myself into the rectory to call the primary school and report my tardiness, I was too irritable to return to church. So I helped myself to a banana, read yesterday’s Sun-TImes and then returned to my vehicle in time to be perched in the driver’s seat, ready to roll as soon as the big obstruction moved. Then I was almost run down in the primary school parking lot - by another luxury SUV. (This is when I get really scared. If the little ladies piloting these mega-rigs come close to picking off a large target such as myself there’s a lot of peril out there for little old ladies and wandering little children.)

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter