Monday, February 03, 2003

Still Ruminating....
about my previous comments about motherhood and acceptable risks. Before Emily jumps in here and outs me to the world, I will admit that I have gone a few places and done a few things since I have become a mother. I guess some of this boils down to what one considers to be an acceptable risk.


So.....in Ellyn's world, flying on scheduled commercial airlines is OK. If it's for a good reason and I don't do it too often. Flying to Vermont for my only sister's law school graduation? OK. Flying to Minneapolis for a week-end with my sister to see Bruce Springsteen - OK? Maybe it wasn't. Was flying to Minneapolis to help my sister out after her son was born OK? Yeah, I guess.


I went to Paris in 2000. On Air France. I guess that's OK. But what if some dreadful accident had befallen me while on the Eiffel Tour? Or a tourist jumping off of Notre-Dame, like in last year's Amelie? Or choking on a baguette?


Or what about Mardi Gras 2001? I was walking down Bourbon Street when a beer bottle flew off of a balcony (glass is illegal on balconies, for just that reason.) and missed me by a matter of inches. I calmly kicked the glass to safety and yelled some sort of mommy-esque chastisement to the fellows on the balcony above. What if it hit me? I could have been killed. If not a meretricious death, it would certainly have been "freak accident" material in the local paper. Would I want to be remembered by my children as "poor Mom, taken out by a beer bottle while traipsing from the Desire Oyster Bar to Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop?"


Now I'm working myself into full tilt guilt. I am supposed to go on retreat at the end of March. Just for three days. Two hours away, into Wisconsin. A lot could happen between here and there......


Here's where I'll have to draw the line. A mother needs to be more careful. But she can't let it make her agorophobic.......which is what may happen to me if I cogitate on this topic much longer.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter