Thursday, February 06, 2003

Some good advice.
Found on the trivia page of the Cyber Hymnal

John Wesley’s singing rules for Methodists (he had a Method for everything!):

1. Learn the tune. (Can’t resist my own little Catholic editorializing here: People would sing more if the tune didn’t keep changing. The settings for the Mass change from week to week. Some are absolutely unsingable. When I was a Lutheran, I had no such problems. The Gloria, Sanctus, etc. didn’t change. The tune was always the same. For those of us without great musical gifts, this is a blessing. I can still sing the Nunc Dimittis - and I haven’t attended a Lutheran service since 1978.)

2. Sing them as they are printed.

3. Sing all. “If it is a cross to you, take it up and you will find a blessing.”

4. Sing lustily and with a good courage. (Trust me. The tone deaf need courage. I don’t wish to be one of the old ladies that we snickered at when we were young. Naturally, I must also mind #5 below.....)

5. Sing modestly. Do not bawl.

6. Sing in time. Do not run before or stay behind.

7. Above all, sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself, or any other creature. In order to do this, attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter