Sunday, January 12, 2003

Libera nos a mall
Next week-end we will be celebrating Martha's 16th birthday. I still haven't found an appropriate gift for her. I know she will receive one of the little porcelain place card holders that were used at my 16th birthday dinner. I had mine, my mother's, my sister's and my aunt Tommy's, which conveniently worked out to one for each girl in the family. So I started by giving one to Em when she turned 16. I also wanted to give each of the girls a sterling cuff bracelet like the one I received (one of the few pieces of jewelry I still wear!) But the only suitable plain, engravable bracelets were at Tiffany's for about $200, which was a whole lot more than I could spend. So I have started the tradition of giving the girls some nice (but not outrageous) jewelry and some other family heirloom (such as the Wedgwood-inset compact that Bridget received.) Where am I going with this? I'm getting around to saying that Martha will not be receiving a car. If she is fortunate I will locate her birth certificate and Social Security card so that she may procure a learner's permit and begin driver's ed.

But Martha's best friend, whose birthday is just 2 days before Martha's natal observance, is getting a car. Martha wants to go shopping for some bumper stickers for her, plus some fuzzy dice, a CD holder and other various car accessories. There is nothing I would rather not do than traipse around the mall on a Sunday afternoon. My weather pixie says it's -9 C., which rules out taking a book and waiting in the car. The car was so cold on our way to Mass this morning, that the seats had absolutely no give - it was like driving while seated on a concrete bench........Oh, the humanity. But it's the least I can do. If she's not getting a car, I'll have to drive her to the mall. And we may have some mother-daughter quality time.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter