Tuesday, December 31, 2002

Let the revelry begin.......
I may have previously stated that a great improvement could be made in the calendar if we could only celebrate Labor Day and play the Super Bowl on January 1st, thereby rolling my three least favorite days of the year into one. Forced 'jollies' are such an irritant to me. Being the contrary sort, I just can't get excited about a holiday that says I'm supposed to have fun. (This is not like the spiritual joy implicit in holidays such as Christmas and Easter. I'm talking about a holiday that says I should put on a funny hat, imbibe too much and dance about just because the calendar is about to flip over.) Why I am like this?.........I don't know. No bad New Year's memories that I can think of. Perhaps it is a hold over from childhood, when the arrival of Guy Lombardo and Baby New Year meant the return to school was not far behind. Is it because my birthday was once, centuries ago, New Year's Day but somehow it was moved to January 1st and I feel robbed? I don't think so. I just don't like being told when to have fun.

What I like to do on New Year's Day is clean. Straighten up closets. Purge the various little cubbies and hiding places in my secretary. (That's the piece of furniture, you know, not an employee....) Martha is turning into a real chip off the mater block. I heard her rummaging around her room at 11:00pm last night and she said she had been overcome with an urge to clean.......Perhaps I'll cook the books today and see if there is enough cash to send Rick and the kids to see the new Lord of the Rings movie tomorrow. That will buy me a big block of time to sort through stuff, listen to my music (loud!) or maybe take a nap. That's the ticket......

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter