Wednesday, December 18, 2002

almost too beautiful for words........
Rick, Eddie and I drove Anne and Dave up to Madison to meet their mother this afternoon. The van couldn’t make the trip, so we had to downsize the crew and leave Fran in charge, since this is her afternoon off.

Though I had packed a bunch of lively Christmas CD’s, the mood in the car got progressively gloomier. By the time we were past Lake Geneva, it was so dark and gloomy that I couldn’t continue with the book I was attempting to read. The rain poured down on us, as I tried to shush the back seat crowd and keep them from distracting Uncle Corky. (that’s what they call him - some day I’ll know why....) We finally could see sun ahead as we were about to pass under the very distinct line of the front. Rick told the kids to watch for a rainbow.

I like rainbows as much as the next person, but usually do not throw my neck out of alignment trying to watch one. There has never been such a bright rainbow. Not this side of a Lucky Charms box! And we were looking through it - it was coloring the landscape behind it. It was
too beautiful for words.

This is where the story starts to sound like a lame Touched by an Angel episode, but here it is.....
There was an abandoned old-time service station along the road. I was taken with the juxtaposition of colors - the faded white of the gas station, the bright green grass (weird enough in itself for Wisconsin in December), the blue sky slashed by the sharp colors of the rainbow. It reminded me of a certain Pre-Raphaelite painting - I’ll look through the books tonight to find it.
But the weird thing was, after coming through this trip with the most melancholy feelings - started, no doubt, by my regret that I blogged about earlier today and totally in synch with the dark sky and rain, I saw this striking display of colors.........and in front of the old gas station was one of those signs with the movable block letters. There was one word on it - PRAY. No one else noticed it. I decided to keep it to myself. Maybe I’ll share later....

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter