Monday, November 11, 2002

Serial Monogamy Alert!!!
J-Lo is engaged.

Where Will I Go? What Will I Do?
One of the other part-time people at work asked me to swap hours with her, leaving me home tonight. With the exception of Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, Memorial and Labor Days, this is the only Monday night (and an unstructured one at that!) I will have spent at home since I started working at church in September 2001. My whole Monday schedule is predicated on finishing necessary work and getting out of here by 4:00pm. So what do I do now? Play with the computer because I can push the whole day back a few hours? hmmm......

I have a backlog of 7th Heaven episodes that Chuck has been devotedly recording for me. Maybe tonight I’ll just jump in and see what’s happening currently. It is with some trepidation that I admit to watching this saccharine piece of work. I find it amusing, on the one hand, that a family whose head is an ordained clergyman can speak so little of God. The fact that Eric Camden is a clergyman is probably considered just edgy enough for TV, never mind invoking the deity.

A few other gripes.........
 They always use the same stock shot of the indredibly well kept Camden homestead. The sun is always shining.......

 Everyone is well dressed for a family on a tight budget.

 The kids’ big screw ups are pretty small potatoes compared to real life

 For a family with voracious children and friends, they never seem to run out of food. Mom doesn’t burst into tears on the way home from the grocery store.......

 The young people spend way too much time in amorous relationships for characters that are supposedly chaste. They are always (to my critical eye) pushing the limits of physical relationships but never going too far. I would say they are pushing their luck.

But.......
 They have a big family which is the natural product of one marriage, not the by-product of a string of funky relationships.

 They acknowledge God - however minimally - which is scarce on TV unless you’re watching a show that is trying use ‘religious’ as shorthand for stupid, regressive, intolerant, crazy, etc.

 They have plotlines that can earily mirror my own life. Two years ago I found tremendous comfort in watching Annie Camden grapple with her discomfort in taking in a homeless young man. This just happened to come at a time when a homeless friend of our kids’ was living on our couch a tad longer than I had anticipated.

So maybe we’ll just pop some corn tonight and see what the Camdens are up to now......

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter