Saturday, March 08, 2003

Saturday Scruples!

1. Playing golf, you hit the ball into the woods. Your partner isn't around. Do you place the ball on the fairway?No. That would be cheating. But I wouldn’t anguish over this, since the chance of my ever setting a foot on a golf course again is very slim indeed. (There was that summer when I was convinced that mowing greens would be a fabulous, outdoorsy, pro-feminist job........it didn’t quite work out that way. At least I came away from the job slightly wiser, with my dignity and digits intact.)

2. Your spouse has become a nervous wreck since s/he began trading stocks on the Internet. But s/he's made $10K in two months. Do you make him/her stop?I would implore him to stop. Not sure if I could make him. We could coast for quite a while on $10K. Maybe I’d try to convince him to do it every other month? Pace himself?

3. The only other person at the bus stop - a poorly dressed, overweight man - is crying. Do you express concern?Of course. I don't think the fact that he is fat and poorly dressed would make a difference. Some might think that would make him more suspect, but that's not necessarily so. (Hey, I've seen American Psycho. I didn't enjoy it, but I saw it. If there was one redeeming lesson: dressed well doesn't mean good person. Oh, and that poor Christian Bale, he was such a nice boy in Little Women. I'm trying to put the whole mess out of my mind.) Not condescending, but truly concerned. It’s hard to say exactly what I would do, since the particulars of the situation could vary. Anything from a simple, “Bad day, huh?” to a more pressing inquiry as to his need for help.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter