Saturday, March 29, 2003

A Good Thing
I remember a time when a common device on TV and in the movies was for ‘blue’ women to cheer themselves by buying a new hat. This may actually have been true in society at large, but I can’t remember my father telling my mother, sister or me to go out and get a new hat just for jollies. Of course, we weren’t really a hat wearing family.

It is with a bit of surprise that I have noticed that I have developed the habit of cheering myself up with new dishtowels. Fancy, luxury dishtowels. It all started last Christmas (2001), when I returned a sweater to a store and couldn’t find a suitable sweater to take its place. Instead, armed with a store credit, I found myself facing an incredible array of kitchen linens. I came home with 4 nice tea towels, two pot holders, plus a new bath towel and a still some credit which I used later when Christmas ornaments were marked down by 90%.

The new towels made my Wal-Mart specials and the Williams-Sonoma towels that my late Aunt Tommy purchased for me in the mid-1980’s look quite dreadful by comparison. That is when I fell into the habit of wandering in to places like T.J. Maxx when I was down and troubled and needed something. Paying just $1.50-$2.00 for a $10 dishtowel is such a comforting accomplishment. (I can’t imagine any sane person paying $10 dollars for a tea towel. But they are really nice towels. A joy to behold. A joy to use. Even a joy to launder and fold.) My spiritual director doesn’t think I have a big problem with material attachments. I think it’s time to ‘fess up to the dishtowel fetish.

BUT, as I said, it’s a good thing. Having been home fewer hours this past week and doing less laundry than usual, having a stash of towels has come in real handy. I found a big pile of used towels at the bottom of the basement stairs. (Here is where I should count my blessings. Indeed, it occured to no one to actually wash some kitchen linens. But, at least, they haven’t been using the same nasty towel all week.) It’s a good thing.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter