Wednesday, February 12, 2003

My Father Had a Friend with a Wooden Leg Named Blatz....
Really.
I needed to cheer myself up after reading this horrifying link about a young girl who lost a leg to cancer and has been driven from her school by the harrassment of fellow students. (Thanks for bumming me out, Bill White. No, actually it just reinforces my resolve to keep my boys out of the school pack mentality.) How low can the cruelty bar go? I don’t think kids were especially nice when I was in high school. I remember how I hated having to pass by the corridor intersection where the jocks would sit at lunch hour and “rate” each girl who walked by. And the girls could do really bitchy things. I probably did some bitchy things. But tormenting a kid with one leg? I know that didn’t happen. I wrote last week about my invoking the name of John Z., my classmate who died. The kids at Cedarburg High School may not have been fabulous humanitarians, but there were lines that were not crossed. Now those lines, as dubious as they may have been, have disappeared from the schools.



No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter