Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Karen Marie Knapp’s

If you could canonize anyone....
Mentions a fellow cheese-head (I say that with all due respect), Fr. Solanus Casey!

He’s turned up on several sites over the past couple of days.
Karen sums up his early life and obstacles quite succinctly:

Bernie Casey, mono-lingual Irish-American farm kid, wants to be a priest.

Oh, he wants to be a priest.

So, after working his way through high school with a series of odd jobs, he leaves the farm and goes to the

Big City (=Milwaukee) to go to the seminary to be a priest.

But, he's got one Really Big Problem --- Milwaukee, unlike his farm town, is a German-speaking city with a

German-speaking Catholic Church, German-speaking bishop, and German-speaking seminary!



The Porter of St. Bonaventure’s is a good biography. Can’t remember the author - and I’ve lent the book out so I can’t look at it right now.

I formulated my own little Fr. Solanus tour while I was up north visiting my sister in Hudson, WI.

Saw the original St. Patrick’s Church (his home parish), drove past the prison in Stillwater, MN where he was once a guard.

(Parts of the prison looked to be old enough that he may well have walked there.)

I just love his story. There is such a powerful lesson to be learned about perseverence and acceptance of going where God is calling you.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter