Friday, October 18, 2002

Right in my (150 mile radius) backyard
This icky retreat incident was written up in the Sun-Times but I didn’t find out about it until I looked atMark Shea’s blog.:
A fight between parents and a south suburban Catholic church over behavior on a religious retreat has resulted in their two children being expelled from parochial school.

The parents, Daniel and Anna Lisa Gianni, say their children are being punished because they complained that one of the children was forced to wear pantyhose over his clothes at the retreat.


This is creepy - making kids wear pantyhose as a retreat ‘icebreaker’ is just - creepy. For children who are more or less immune to doing the indignified it is creepy. For a shy person such as myself, I might have had to delay confirmation a good 20 years to adjust to the shock. A reserved person (such as my late father, who didn’t even like playing charades at family gatherings) might have found a new religion. And someone with social anxiety that Paxil can’t touch (like one of my sons).......well, who knows?

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter