Wednesday, October 16, 2002

If I can’t be a good example.......
I’ll have to be a bad warning. This is the year I took the final leap into Church Ladyland and signed up for a Bible study. It was the third year they invited me and this might have been my third strike, so what the heck. I could use this - couldn’t most of us? I felt a lot more sincere talking to the boys about St. Jerome and his admonition about the ignorance of scripture knowing that I am trying to overcome this ignorance. And as a homeschooler who has the luxury of Dad home in the morning to be with the boys, I can consider it part of my ‘continuing education.’ Now I must get off of the computer and do my homework. Which I have had 2 weeks to do, and now I’m down to a mere 12 hours............tsk, tsk


World Famous Love Acts!!!
My sister left on her road trip to New Orleans this afternoon. It hasn’t been easy to keep my envy in check, especially since she had me look up a bunch of addresses and info because all of her travel books are in storage while her new house is being built. Paging thru those books reminded me of places I had forgotten that I wanted to return to.

When Karen called to ask me for any souvenir requests, I asked for the usual. Maybe another French Market coffee mug or some more Mardi Gras decorations. (The Mardi Gras decorations are on my top ten list of ways to embarrass your children - you’ve never seen such a group of teenagers happy to greet Ash Wednesday.) In the course of our conversation, we talked about World Famous Love Acts!!! There is an establishment on Bourbon Street - we’re not even sure this is the name - that we always notice because of its big neon sign advertising World Famous Love Acts!!! We shudder and walk on by, not wanting to think about what they are showing in this place. The conversation later in the evening, usually over a few cocktails and many shrimp, turns to how fabulous it would be if people gleefully paid their admission and found, upon entering, tableaux of real World Famous Love Acts!!! It is fun to come up with our nominees for the show - some of my favorites: bone marrow donors, Missionaries of Charity picking maggots off of lepers, St. Maximillian Kolbe, a friend of mine, with plenty of troubles of her own, who still takes the time and effort to drive a load of surplus frozen foods up to a food pantry in a neighboring community. People want to see love, we sure could show it to them.

So, I told Karen if she sees a shirt that says, “Ask me about World Famous Love Acts!!!,” I would love to have one.

No comments:


St. Isidore Foundation



I cannot live under pressures from patrons, let alone paint.
-- Michelangelo, quoted in Vasari's Lives of the Artists


Meet the Family...
Collect the Action Figures





Yes, three jade ribbons. 15 Years!
(not all the same child)
If you need to ask, you may not wish to know.


 
Site Meter